The Office of Unified Communications' Telephone Reporting Unit (TRU) is designed to manage and generate non-emergency incident or offense police reports telephonically for specified event types. The primary purpose of the Telephone Reporting Unit is to service events that do not necessarily require the presence of a police officer.
The TRU assumes the responsibility of interviewing citizens and reviewing and approving non-emergency events in support of the Metropolitan Police Department to improve public service by giving citizens an easy and convenient way to file a police report.
Telephone Reporting Unit (TRU) Services
These types of 911 and 311 processed by the OUC's Telephone Reporting Unit (TRU) have expanded. Certain non-violent crimes reported to 911 and 311 may not require the dispatch of MPD personnel and may be procesed by the TRU instead. These reports will receive the same extensive follow-up that any report taken in-person would receive.
*The Telephone Reporting Unit also handles Placement Violation returns for CFSA and DYRS facilities reporting returning juveniles who have violated placement orders and has the authority to make addendums to an original report.
File A Police Report Online
The Metropolitan Police Department maintains an online reporting tool for non-emergency incidents that can be accessed by visiting the Online Reporting Tool. At this time, the online police reporting application may only be completed in English. If you need to file a police report in any other language, please call 3-1-1 or 9-1-1, instead. Interpreters are available to assist.
In order to make a report using the Online Reporting Tool, please ensure that ALL of the following conditions are present:
- The event took place in the District of Columbia, but not on Metrorail, Metrobus, or Metro property.
- The suspects are not known to you.
- The suspects have left the scene.
- You (or, the complainant, if you are making a report on behalf of another party) have not suffered any injuries.
- There is no apparent need for investigation at the scene, including video surveillance tape.
- There is no obvious physical evidence available at the scene.
- There are no witnesses to be interviewed.
- This is not a traffic crash.
- The event occurred within the last six months. Events older than six months should be reported to 911, not filed with this online application.
For more information, visit MPD's website here.