The information on this page answers the following questions:
- What is 311?
- When should I call 311?
- Who answers 311 calls?
- What are all the ways I can submit a service request?
- What if I dial the wrong number?
- How can I reach DC 311 from outside the District?
- How do I check the status of a service request that I submit?
- Can you still track my request if I lose the confirmation number?
- What type of issues can be reported online?
- Why did 311 close my service request?
What is 311?
311 provides a one-stop service experience for constituents, residents, and visitors searching for DC government services, numbers, and information. The Office of Unified Communications (OUC) oversees the designated call center for all 311 calls and for all District 911 calls. The call center is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
When should I call 311?
You should call 311 to request city services and information and report police non-emergencies.
Examples of typical 311 calls include:
- Broken meters
- Trash collection problems or to schedule a bulk pick-up
- Abandoned autos
- Parking enforcement
- Tree services
- Illegal dumping
- Street light repair
- District agency phone numbers, addresses, and hours of operations
Who answers 311 calls?
DC 311 serves as the conduit to city services. Highly-trained customer service representatives answer all 311 calls. The goal is to answer all calls for service quickly and effectively and to provide the appropriate response in all instances.
What are all the ways I can submit a service request?
DC 311 connects you to essential information and city services you depend on. We improved 311 to make it more convenient and accessible.
- Call DC 311 at 311 or (202) 737-4404 if calling from outside the District
- Text "NEW" or "MENU" to 32311 (DC311)
- Tweet the Office of Unified Communications at @311DCGov
- Visit the Online Portal at 311.dc.gov
- Download the DC 311 Mobile App from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store
What if I dial the wrong number?
If you call 311 but need police, fire, or emergency medical services, you will have the immediate option of being routed to 911. The professionals who answer 311 calls will ensure that you receive the assistance you need no matter which number you dial.
How do I reach DC 311 from outside the District?
If you are calling from outside the District, dial (202) 737-4404 to reach the Citywide Call Center.
How do I check the status of a service request that I submit?
After you submit a service request (using any method) you will receive a confirmation number. You can use that confirmation to check the status of service requests on the online portal, 311 mobile app, Text DC311, Online Live Chat, or by calling 311. You can also view your service request history by registering for an account online.
Can you still track my request if I lose the confirmation number?
Yes, your service request can be tracked by the address you provided or by your email address.
What type of issues can be reported online?
Most 311 service requests can be reported online. A full list is available at 311 Online.
Why did 311 close my service request?
DC 311 does not close service requests. The 311 operation was designed to make the public's interaction with the city government more accessible and efficient. DC 311 serves as the channel through which constituents can submit requests to the appropriate city service agencies. Only those respective agencies have the ability to close out service requests and requests can be deemed close for a multitide of reasons.