Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Office of Unified Communications

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

311 for City Services

The information on this page answers the following questions:

  • What is 311?
  • When should I call 311?
  • Who answers 311 calls?
  • When should I call 911?
  • What if I dial the wrong number?
  • What if I can't get through?
  • How do I track confirmation numbers provided?
  • Can you still track my request if I lose the confirmation number?
  • What type of issues can be reported online?

What is 311?

311 is a toll-free number that allows people in the District of Columbia to request assistance with city services and information. Because it is easy to use and easy to remember, 311 can help improve service delivery to residents, workers, and visitors in our nation's capital. The Office of Unified Communications (OUC) oversees the designated call center for all 311 calls and for all District 911 calls.

The call center is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Businesses, residents, and visitors can contact 311 to report a missed scheduled service, inquire about city agency phone numbers and hours of operation, and pursue other customer service-related items.

Because 311 is a toll-free number, you can now use a payphone, free of charge, to request both emergency services (911) and city services (311). This is especially important for visitors and residents who do not have residential phone services.

When should I contact 311?

You should call 311 to request city services and information.

Examples of typical 311 calls include:

  • Broken meters
  • Trash collection problems or to schedule a bulk pick-up
  • Potholes
  • Abandoned autos
  • Parking enforcement
  • Tree services
  • Illegal dumping
  • Street light repair
  • District agency phone numbers, addresses, and hours of operations

How can I contact 311?

DC311 connects you to essential information and city services you depend on.  We improved 311 to make it more convenient and accessible.

  • 311 Online Portal –
  • Mobile App for Apple and Android Devices – DC311
  • Text DC311
  • Online Live Chat during standard business hours
  • Twitter @311DCgov
  • Call 311 or (202) 737-4404

Who answers 311 calls?

Highly trained customer service representatives answer all 311 calls. The goal is to answer all calls for service quickly and effectively and to provide the appropriate response in all instances.

What if I dial the wrong number?

If you call 311 but need police, fire, or emergency medical services, you will have the immediate option of being routed to 911.  The professionals who answer 311 calls will ensure that you receive the assistance you need no matter which number you dial.

What if I can't get through? 

Most government, business, cellular, and payphones have been connected with 311.  However, if you are calling from outside the District or if your cellular carrier will not connect you to 311, dial (202) 737-4404 to reach the Citywide Call Center.

How do I check the status of a service request that I submit?

After you submit a service request (using any method) you will receive a confirmation number. You can use that confirmation to check the status of service requests on the online portal, 311 mobile app, Text DC311, Online Live Chat, or by calling 311. You can also view your service request history by registering for an account online.

Can you still track my request if I lose the confirmation number?

Yes, your service request can be tracked by the address you provided or by your email address.

What type of issues can be reported online?

Most 311 service requests can be reported online. A full list is available at 311 Online.