Radio Systems and Services
The Office of Unified Communications provides centralized, District-wide coordination and management of public safety voice radio technology and other public safety wireless communication systems and resources to 30 District agencies and federal partners. OUC manages 10 Radio Frequency (RF) sites, a high availability network and redundant back up radio system with overlapping RF radio coverage for almost 9,000 radio users including FEMS, MPD, WMATA, US Secret Service and other DC an federal partners operating in the District. Our radio system is monitored 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Redundant Trunked Radio Network
The District's Motorola SmartZone 4.1 System—Simulcast Trunked Radio Network—comprises nearly a dozen radio towers all connected by a computerized master controller. This computerized radio controller contains the master radio database and is the primary point for control of audio paths within the network. Though each individual tower site communicates with this master controller, each site can function independently, providing first responders with the solid, redundant communications they need.
This highly specialized system remotely monitors and alerts fire stations. The system also monitors itself by evaluating and reporting the status of the radio towers supporting operational communications. The data control facility of the radio network also performs tasks such as remote intrusion alarm monitoring of tower sites, temperature controls and remote starting/stopping of site backup generators.
- Interoperable communication on 800MHz system with the National Capital Region (NCR)–capable systems to communicate on surrounding jurisdictions 800MHz systems for mutual aid and cross boundary communications
- Radio Engineering planning, coordination, implementation, and operation of the District of Columbia’s Public Safety Radio Network
- Member of APCO Region 20 and the communications technical subcommittee for 800MHz and 700MHz
- Member MWCOG Police and Fire Communications (Metropolitan Washington Council of Governors)
- Member NCR RWBN (National Capital Region Regional Wireless Broadband Network)–High speed broadband wireless data network